What is the difference between organic and non-organic skin care products? In a nutshell, not only are organic products healthier to use on your skin, but you will actually be contributing towards helping the environment. How green is your vanity cupboard? Due to the increase in environmental awareness, organic products are becoming more and more popular, thus readily available with an extensive range of natural ingredients. All organic products are bio-degradable, in other words, the product and packaging will easily break down after use. No harmful chemicals are entering the earth’s soil and water tables, so while you are pampering yourself, you are also protecting precious natural resources.
Organic Skin Care Products and You
Beauty is really more than skin deep. From deodorant to facial toners, we slather and spray a vast array of products onto our skin every day without really noticing. It is common knowledge that our skin acts as a sponge, among other things. Everything you put on it will get absorbed to some extend. These chemicals are harmless in small doses, but consider how often you are exposed to them. To be honest, no one, at least not to my knowledge, ever died from using a toner or face mask. Not as a direct result. But consider this; petrochemicals used in the production of many face creams and other beauty products have been found to contain cancer causing impurities. Aside from being generally very unhealthy, it is also non-renewable and both an environmental and economically unfriendly resource. These products can be identified by labels containing the words “paraffin, petroleum and mineral oil”.
However, if you will only consider using organic skin care products for one reason, it is hypoallergenic. Most sensitive skin sufferers break out due to the chemical ingredients found in average skin care products. Organic products are dye and fragrance free, eliminating chemical burns and rashes. Artificial fragrances contain phthalates that are known to trigger allergic reactions in sensitive users.
An organic routine usually goes hand in hand with a holistic approach. You do not need an apothecary of potions and creams to stay youthful. Instead, a good basic routine and a healthy lifestyle will keep you in a great condition.
Organic Skin Care Products and the Environment
Certain beauty and skin care products contain cow placenta extracts. These extracts contain hormones that could result in potentially deadly illnesses, such as breast cancer. Aside from the health issues, the practice is cruel and unnecessary. Organic products use ingredients that are grown without synthetic fertilizers and harmful pesticides, which are overall a lot more environmentally friendly, as well as healthier to use on your body. Biodynamic farming also leads to a holistic relationship between plants, the soil it grows in, animals and humans. These products are not tested on animals. It will be counter-productive. Another form of cruelty and abuse gets eliminated. The packaging is non-toxic, and recyclable or biodegradable.
The USDA National Organic Program was established in 2003. Organic-certified products will bear their seal, so look out for the Demeter approval stamp on products your purchase to afford you extra peace of mind.
To find the finest organic skincare, please visit out website www.homespacollestion.com
A drop of Olive a Day Keeps the Surgeons Away!
Since ever, beautiful, glowing, healthy skin has been every woman’s wish. We know, beautiful skin means great general health, but in our modern age we do not have enough time to do the simple things to maintain our body health and best skin. Constant internal and external environmental stress can age us fast! Yup, then we go crazy spending on beauty products, surgery, laser presiders, injecting weird materials not knowing their influence on our health. We are so busy looking for results that we forget to look around us to see the natural product that nature has been offering, again, since ever! Even in ancient times women used it- it’s OLIVE OIL! If Cleopatra and Queen of Sheba were known for their beautiful skin, isn’t it enough reference for us?
If you didn’t know, let me tell you a few benefits of olive oil and olive extract:
- Olive oil contains a wide variety of valuable antioxidants, such as Hydroxytyrosol, which is thought to be the main antioxidant compound in olives, and believed to play a significant role in the many health benefits attributed to olive oil; phenol, also known as carbolic acid and phenic acid. These antioxidants help to prevent cell damage (the common pathway for cancer, aging and a variety of diseases).
- It’s a source of Vitamin A, which is important to our vision, but is also vital to other body systems and functions, as well as Vitamin E (it helps heal, repair and rejuvenate your hair, skin, fingernails and organs).
- It will help moisturize your body inside and out, and protect you from harmful free radicals.
- It is gentle on the digestive system and has been known to sooth ulcers. The ingredients activate bile secretion and the release of pancreatic hormones naturally.
- Promotes a healthy heart. The oil has a high concentration of monounsaturated fats. These are the good fats your body needs, boosting HDL “good” cholesterol, and decreasing LDL, the “bad” cholesterol.
- Reduces the effect of an oncogene. In laymen’s terms, this is the gene that will turn a healthy cell into a cancer cell. Studies have shown when a tablespoon of olive oil is taken daily it greatly decreases the risk of developing certain types of cancer.
- It is a known blood sugar controller, making it very beneficial for diabetics.
External Benefits for Your Skin!
- Apart from containing strong antioxidants, the body’s major defense against free radicals and oxidative stress, the oil is also hypoallergenic, in other words causes fewer allergic reactions, making it perfect for any skin type. It will improve the elasticity– the ability of your skin to stretch and then return to its normal state afterward.
- When skin is dry, chapped, irritated the oil can be applied to your face, hands and feet, focusing on dry spots such as heels and elbows.
Depending on your needs you can pick an organic olive essence cream that will work for you. Here are some of my picks:
· Organic Antioxidant DMAE 24K Gold anti-aging cream renowned for its face-lifting qualities. It firms, tightens, and tones sagging, fatigued skin.
· Olive Essence® Organic Hand Cream will help protect your hands while making them look and feel younger. It will protect your skin against eczema, psoriasis, etc.
· Olive Essence® Organic Velvet Foot Nutrient is formulated for quick absorption to soothe parched feet and protect them from drying and roughness.
· Olive Essence® Organic Body Butter will revive dry, tired skin and bring it to a luxuriously soft, silky condition. It will rescue the skin from harsh daily irritants such as sun, wind, hard water, and environmental pollutants.
· Olive Essence® Organic Healing 24K Gold Nutrient has amino acids to help the skin recover from free-radicals and environmental stress caused by pollution, sun, malnutrition, and other environmental toxins.
· Olive Essence® Organic Peptide Complex 24K Gold anti-aging cream is an optimum defense system against premature aging. Its unique oxygenated delivery system facilitates a timed-release distribution of ingredients through the use of high oxygen levels.
· Olive Essence® Organic Eye Lift Serum with 24K Gold blends olive juice with hydrolyzed elastin, hyaluronic acid, essential oils, and plant extracts to nourish the eye area for a well-rested, refreshed look with minimized fine lines and wrinkles.
· Olive Essence® Organic Facial Peel with 24K Gold is a safe anti-agingpeel that gently penetrates the skin to help renew skin cells for an appearance that looks relaxed and rejuvenated.
Remember, you can’t stop the time, but you can control aging. Be healthy and make the right choices.
Q1- What Percentage of Ingredients must be Organic to qualify a product as “Certified Organic”?
Answer- Minimum of 95%
Q2- What Percentage of Ingredients must be Organic to qualify a product as “100% Certified Organic”?
Yes this is a trick question.
Q3- Can salt or water be certified Organic?
A product may ONLY be considered “Certified Organic” if its agricultural components comply with the strict regulations of the NOP (National Organic Program). Being that salt is a mineral, and water is a chemical matter; neither is an agricultural product and therefore must be excluded when calculating the percentage of organic ingredients.
Q4- Is Natural Considered Organic?
Let’s first start out by defining what Organic means when referred to as Organic product. According to the CCOF, and as defined in their document (http://www.ccof.org/pdf/2010_UnderstandingOrganic_Flyer.pdf), Organic food is produced without using most conventional, harmful, toxic pesticides, petroleum-based, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), bioengineering, or ionizing radiation. Organic meat, poultry, eggs and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones and that have not been cloned.
Now let’s clarify, a product that is labeled Natural is not to be assumed its Organic. By stating a product is Natural, one is stating a product is compound by chemicals or substances that are created from a living organism, found in nature. As the CCOF clearly defines, there are no federal standards for “natural”, “local” or “sustainable” claims. These products may include toxic pesticides, genetically modified organisms or synthetic substances that are prohibited in organic production.
Q5- Is a product “Certified Organic” if the label says so?
Know your ingredients! See answers for Questions 1-4 and look for the USDA and CCOF logos for the comfort of knowing the products you’re using are CERTIFIED ORGANIC!
In order to make it even easier for customers, our Organic Olive Essence products are now available for purchase through our Spa de Soleil Facebook page.
Just click the shop tab and enjoy!